Guidance for Applicants
Please read through the following guidelines, which will help you to complete your application.
You may apply either by completing the below Application Form or by sending in a CV and covering letter.
If you choose to fill in the Application Form:
- Complete all sections of the form.
- Make sure the form is tidy and try to avoid mistakes. Always proof read before you send it.
- If applying for several jobs, please address each point in Sections 1 & 2 of the person spec separately because none of the person specs are the same. You may photocopy Part 1 of the application form but please remember to indicate the relevant job title and ref no
If you choose to submit a CV with a covering letter
- In addition to your covering letter (which should address each point in Sections 1 & 2 of the person spec), you must still complete and return Part 2 of the Application Form.
If you require acknowledgement of your application please follow the instructions below and note that unless you do this we cannot acknowledge receipt of your application:
- If e-mailing you must activate a read receipt from your email account.
- If sending by post you must enclose a stamped addressed envelope.
Please note, Broadway welcomes applications from diverse candidates.
Broadway is positive about disabled people, therefore any disabled applicant who meets all the requirements set out in the Job Person Specification will be guaranteed an interview.
Broadway is committed to employing users and ex-users of services for homeless people. Unfortunately, because of a potential conflict of interests, we can't employ our own current service users. However, if you are an ex-user of Broadway's services, or a current or ex-user of any other homelessness service, we warmly welcome your application.
- Criminal records will be taken into account for recruitment purposes only when the conviction(s) is relevant to the role. Having a conviction will not necessarily bar a candidate from employment; this will depend on the circumstances and background of the offence(s) in relation to the particular requirements of the job.
In all cases:
- Type or write clearly in black/blue ink
- Please e-mail or post your application only to the addresses indicated on the application form.
- Ensure you clearly state the correct job title and reference number (either on the application form or your covering letter). Where these do not tally we may discard your application.
- Within ‘Previous Employment’ section, always state why you have left a position. This may be checked.
- Always explain any gaps in work history e.g. travelling, maternity leave, periods of homelessness – we would like you explain gaps so that unfounded assumptions won’t be made. Broadway recognises that personal experience of homelessness can make a very valuable contribution to our services.
- Where qualifications are essential criteria for a post this will be stated in the Person Spec and proof of qualifications and membership of professional bodies will be asked for when we take up references.
- When completing the ‘Why this post?’ section of the application form or completing your CV covering letter (which should address each point in Sections 1 & 2 of the person spec eg 1.1, 1.2 etc), consider the following:
- Applications will be assessed from the information you provide. Therefore you need to clearly demonstrate your capabilities in relation to each of the criteria listed in the person specification, taking in to account the job you are applying for.
- It is essential that evidence or examples are given of your experience against each appointment criteria. For example it is easy to say you have had to liaise with clients to identify and respond to their needs; it is more effective to give examples of how you have used these skills and what you have achieved. If you have had experience of homelessness you can use this to support the information provided.
- We look for people with potential and transferable skills rather than people have worked in the same role or level before. If you are coming from a different background, demonstrate how your skills are transferable to the role you are applying for.
- Use clear, concise sentences.
- Don’t make false claims, honesty is always the best policy.
- Explain why you are interested in working for Broadway in this job.
Please note we are not able to:
- Acknowledge receipt of individual applications
- Notify applicants individually if you have not been shortlisted. We will notify shortlisted applicants within four weeks of the closing date.
- Provide individual feedback to candidates who have not been shortlisted.
Ensure you return your application in good time of the closing date – aim for at least, a couple of days before the deadline to allow for postal delays.
Click here for Person Specification Criteria